Let’s take a moment to salute the magic of vernix.
VERNIX is the waxy or cheese-like white substance found coating the skin of newborn human babies.
Here are some of the reasons to delay the bath and washing the magic right off…: p s- You can absolutely choose when you want your baby bathed and many many hospitals are adopting a delayed bath policy.
– Vernix contains proteins that are antibacterial, especially Group B Strep and E.Coli, which can be transmitted through birth and are really dangerous to newborns. Luckily, the proteins do not prevent a healthy microbiome from developing.
– As a hospital based pediatrician working for 9 years with newborns, I can tell you that bathing a baby too soon after birth can cause low blood sugar. Bathing causes crying, stress and the release of stress hormones. These stress hormones can cause a baby’s blood sugar to drop-> making the baby even more sleepy -> too sleepy to eat-> causing an even bigger blood sugar drop. Preventable vicious cycle.
– Improved temperature control, prevent hypothermia.
– More skin to skin time-> improved feedings
– Vernix is a natural skin moisturizer and skin protectant. You don’t need to even think about using chemical (and often toxic) lotion.
Babies used to be washed right after birth (instead of precious skin- skin feeding time)…. we had it all wrong.
Power to traditional wisdom!